Friday, January 20, 2012

My "Famous" Turkey Burgers

These turkey burgers are a go to favorite meal in our household. We typically have them a couple times a month. They never fail to disappoint us! This is a recipe that I created a couple years ago when looking for a good beef free burger. I hadn't found one that I just really enjoyed. It seemed like any recipe I tried was either too dry or too "sticky wet" and didn't form into patties very well. So I got in the kitchen and came up with this tasty little burger!


I say "famous" because it has become a favorite among a lot of my family (whom are all actually beef eaters). My grandpa has requested my "famous turkey burgers" on a number of occassions! The best part about everyone enjoying these burgers...they are sooo easy!!

"Famous" Turkey Burgers
Makes: 4 Burgers
Ingredients:
1lb ground turkey
1 tbsp olive oil
cooking spray
1/2 cup chopped onion
2-3 cloves chopped garlic
1 tbsp grated parmesean
4 slices swiss cheese
4 whole wheat buns
8 oz sliced mushrooms


In a large bowl, mix together ground turkey, (I use half 93% fat free and half 99% fat free because the patties form better this way. If you choose to use only 99% fat free, beware you may have a hard time keeping the patties together! You could always just use 93% if you choose or whatever your grocer has.) onion, garlic, and parmesean cheese. Be cautious not to over mix or the meat with cook up tougher.

Form into 4 patties. I have a handy burger press, but simply making 4 balls and flattening will work fine as well. Since there is only 2 of us, I will immediately, put two of the patties in the freezer for the next time! In the summer months you can put a piece of foil on your grill and cook them that way. (It is important to put foil down or spray the grates on the grill because turkey burgers will stick much easier than beef.) In the winter months I just put them on the stovetop over medium to medium high. They will cook 6-7 min on each side.
While the burgers are cooking, slice up your mushrooms. Put the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and toss in the mushrooms. Cook until softened, 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.

When the burgers are almost done, place 1 slice of cheese on each burger, let melt approx 1 minute.
Place 1 burger on each bun and top with lots of mushrooms! Feel free to use any other condiments of choice. We typically use a small amount of ketchup, but I'm sure your favorite condiment will make it that much better of a burger for you!


We normally have baked beans and/or chips and salsa with our burgers, but again, pick your side of choice with burgers!! These are so tasty! Hope you enjoy them as much as my family does!

~Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment